Sunday, February 12, 2012

Donnie Darko is a genius and he is my crush.

- "Why do I have to sleep with Donnie? He stinks.
Donnie: When you fall asleep tonight, I'm gonna fart in your face."

Donnie: "How can you do that?
- I can do anything I want. So can you."

Donnie: "Do you want your sister to lose weight? Tell her to get off the couch, stop eating twinkies and maybe go out for field hockey. You know what? No one ever knows what they want to be when they grow up. You know it takes a little, little while to find that out, right, Jim? And you... yeah, you. Sick of some jerk shoving your head down the toilet? Well, you know what? Maybe... you should lift some weights, or uh, take a karate lesson and the next time he's tries to do it, you kick him in the balls."

Donnie: "Where did you come from?
- Do you believe in time travel?"

- "My mom had to get a restraining order against my stepdad. He has emotional problems.
 Donnie: Oh, I have those too! What kind of emotional problems does your dad have?
- He stabbed my mom four times in the chest.
Donnie: Oh."

Donnie: "I made a new friend.
- Real or imaginary?
Donnie: Imaginary."

- "You're weird.
Donnie: Sorry.
- No, that was a compliment."

- "This could be the death of an entire way of life, the end of an era...
Donnie: Why should we care?
- Because the rabbits are us, Donnie.
Donnie: Why should I mourn for a rabbit like he was human?
- Are you saying that the death of one species is less tragic than another?
Donnie: Of course. The rabbit's not like us. It has no... keen look at something in the mirror, it has no history books, no photographs, no knowledge of sorrow or regret... I mean, I'm sorry, Miss Pommeroy, don't get me wrong; y'know, I like rabbits and all. They're cute and they're horny. And if you're cute and you're horny, then you're probably happy, in that you don't know who you are and why you're even alive. And you just wanna' have sex, as many times as possible, before you die... I mean, I just don't see the point in crying over a dead rabbit! Y'know, who... who never even feared death to begin with."

Donnie: "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
- Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

- "Donnie Darko? What the hell kind of name is that? It's like some sort of superhero or something
Donnie: What makes you think I'm not?"

Donnie: "[in a letter] Dear Roberta Sparrow, I have reached the end of your book and... there are so many things that I need to ask you. Sometimes I'm afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll tell me that this is not a work of fiction. I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to."

- "Donnie, what did Roberta Sparrow say to you?
Donnie: She said that every living creature on earth dies alone."

Donnie: "[to his mother] How's it feel to have a wacko for a son?
- It feels wonderful."

Donnie: "Frank, when's this gonna stop?
-You should already know that."

- "Do you feel alone right now?
Donnie: Oh, I dunno. I mean I'd like to believe I'm not but I just... I've just never seen any proof so I... I just don't debate it anymore, you know? It's like I could spend my whole life debating it over and over again, weighing the pros and cons and in the end I still wouldn't have any proof so I just... I just don't debate it anymore. It's absurd.
- The search for God is absurd?
Donnie: It is if everyone dies alone.
- Does that scare you?
Donnie: I don't want to be alone!"

[Donnie tries to kiss Gretchen and she pulls away]
Donnie: Well I-I, sorry I...
- Donnie wait...
Donnie: I like you a lot...
- I just want it to be... at a time when... it...
Donnie: When what?
- When it reminds me just...
Donnie: When it reminds you of how beautiful the world can be?
- Yeah...
[turns her head]
- and right now there's some fat guy over there staring at us."

Donnie: "Ling Ling finds a wallet on the ground filled with money. She takes the wallet to the address on the driver's license but keeps the money inside the wallet.
[Scoffs]
Donnie: I-I'm sorry Mrs. Farmer. I don't get this."

Donnie: "Life isn't that simple. I mean who cares if Ling Ling returns the wallet and keeps the money? It has nothing to do with either fear or love.
- Fear and love are the deepest of human emotions.
Donnie: Okay. But you're not listening to me. There are other things that need to be taken into account here. Like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!"

Donnie: "My parents didn't get me what I wanted for Christmas.
- What did you want?
Donnie: Hungry Hungry Hippos.
- "And how did you feel, being denied these hungry, hungry hippos?
Donnie: Regret."

Donnie: "[taking a cigarette] What will happen if you tell Mom about this?
- You'll put Ariel [speaker's pet] in the garbage disposal.
Donnie: Goddamn right I will."

Gretchen: Hey. What's going on?
David: Horrible accident. My neighbour... got killed.
Gretchen: What happened?
David: Got smooshed by a jet engine.
Gretchen: What was his name?
David: Donnie. Donnie Darko.
Gretchen: Hmm.
David: I feel bad for his family.
Gretchen: Yeah.
David: Did you know him?
Gretchen: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment